T with Flounce Additions = Amazing Tunic Top
Flounces dress up most anything!
See how flounces added to the hemline and sleeves transform this T-Shirt? It was a wonderful T for my sewing buddy at Christmas, but I knew I wanted to ‘take it up a notch’. She found this GREAT plaid printed knit fabric and bought a yard. I finally got it done for her for Mother’s Day! Here’s how I did it:
Calculate and create the Flounces for Sleeves and lower Hemline
Flounces are the topic of one of the segments in my Knit DVD: Stretching Your Knit Sewing Know-How.
To show you how I teach both How-To’s, and inspire you with how to put the knowledge to USE, take 11 minutes to watch this clip from my DVD.
Quarter Flounce and Edge to Pin
- Divide both the sleeve hem edge and the sleeve flounces into quarters marking with pins. Do the same for the lower hem flounce.
- Match the quarter points and pin in between. Clip seam allowance of flounce only if necessary – which, on knits, rarely is needed.
3. Lap flounce UNDER the finished hemlines of the T at the sleeves and lowermost hem edges as shown.
Stitch Between the Straight Stitches of the Original Hem Stitching
I simply used a big long zigzag stitch to attach flounces to the sleeve and lower hemline, placing this stitching right between the cover hem parallel rows of stitching on the original hems. Baste first if you need to.
STYLE to FLATTER
Fitting on my friend, we decided to draw the side seams up for a shaped hemline, making the legs look l-o-n-g-e-r. We did so with the tucks as shown below.
HUGE $-Saving Offer May 23-25th, 2017 midnight includes FREE SHIPPING!!!
$74.67 value with $8.95 shipping for just $49 May 23-25. Cost increases to $59 after May 25. through
Extraordinary Value on this $ -Saving Combo Includes:
* Stretching Your Knit Sewing Know-how 3 Disc DVD Set
* Flirty Flounces Talking Pattern Booklet – Printed version
* 1/2 yard Londa’s favorite 8-Way Stretch Fusible Interfacing
* Straight Fusible Stay Tape
* Twin Needle – Stretch 4.0/75
* Stretch Needle Pack 75/11
* Lastin Clear Elastic
This is EVERYTHING I always use when sewing on knits: from scratch and up-cycling sewing!
Use this Coupon Code for Free Shipping May 23-25, 2017.
Hello! first time to my (Londa’s) Blog?
BONUS – you’ll receive a FREE video on how a wonderful factory-trained Polish woman taught me to set in sleeves!
I love to get to know sewing fashionistas and share our sewing adventures together!