As seen on Oprah… 10 Things a Woman Must Have in Her Wardrobe?
Caught Oprah the other day…not that I usually do. While I admire her, I feel she has become a ‘god’ to many in her own rite. Not mine, thank you. Too many choices are ‘ok’ in her book. Not mine.
She had a fashion ‘expert’ on there and I scribbled notes while he showed his version of the ’10 Things a Woman Must Have in Her Wardrobe”. Made some sense – but in my ‘book’, just because some mortal says it doesn’t necessarily make it true. Truth in fashion? Little, I’d say. My comments follow…
1. Trench Coat – a Bright ‘kick’ color – I’d say: in a color that is good for YOU (your hair color, perhaps your eye color).
2. A Turtleneck – black or white – I’d say: a basic top. If you have a real short neck, perhaps a turtleneck is not your best – maybe a mock turtleneck, or a cowl. DO be careful of what ‘neck’ you show depending on the shape of your neck though – and that was his legitimate point. Also – I ? black or white. I was taught in my color training never to wear a white whiter than your teeth – and though many have beautiful (worked on) smiles these days – I believe that is still true – whatever ‘white’ your teeth are (or have become) don’t go whiter than that. Black is good, but that close to your face – if you’ve aged, or have lighter, softer coloring – I think not. Other dark basics may be MUCH better for YOU.
3. Black Trousers – if petite, tapered. If hippy – fuller. Now – THAT I AGREE FULLY WITH!
4. Tunic – Yep – agree. Belting or not belting may be key for you though. Be careful on length – BEware to NOT cut yourself in half!
5. White Jeans – not on MY hips, thank you. Perhaps light khaki – but not white. Again – my humble opinion.
6. Dark Jeans – Yep – agree. If a choice between too large and too small – I’d rather look like I lost weight rather than I need to lose weight – thank you.
7. Black Dress – Yep – agree. If black is not your best color, just expose some skin between ‘you’ and where the dress starts to ‘soften’. Jewelry could be all important to bring light colors in ‘you’ – your hair, etc., down into the ‘dress’.
8. White Denim Jacket. Why white? Again – see my comments above. I’d opt for a color in tone with the jeans – or both pair myself.
9. Black Skirt – Yep – agree. Careful of the length! Be sure it ends at a place on your leg where it indents – not a wide portion on your leg.
10. Timeless Cashmere Sweater – I suppose. I’ve lived this long without one though. Do not wear well. High maintenance. I’d say any classic sweater style- or better yet, any classic sweater set in your eye color.
I LOVE, love, love and respect any fashion commentary by Diane Pemberton-Sikes – www.fashionforrealwomen.com. Sign up for her email newsletter – VALUABLE stuff!